Communications & Policy Officer - Position Summary:
The Communications & Policy Officer is responsible for furthering the Foundation’s mission by amplifying grantee voice and sharing our progressive practice to impact the public and
In addition, the Communications & Policy Officer plays a leading role in organizing the Foundation’s educational and promotional events, researching issues of importance and
relevance to the Foundation, and seeking out ways of collaborating with other foundations/funders working in a similar field of interest. Under the direction of the Executive Director, and as part of a team the Communications & Policy Officer works in close coordination with the Director of Finance & Investment, the Program Officer, the Grants & Office Coordinator and various Board and Committee members. The Communications & Policy Officer reports his or her activities to the Executive Director on a regular basis.
- Prepare evidence-based storytelling from our grant making (drawn from a variety of
- sources including applications, final grant reports and research in the field).
- Interview selected grantees, program staff, field leaders and advisors to capture lessons
- learned in advancing program objectives that could be summarized in an impact
- (working paper) series.
- Assist program staff with the execution of the communication and dissemination of
- findings from convening meetings and participating in conferences.
- Research issues of importance and relevance to the Foundation and seek out ways of
- collaborating with other foundations/funders working in a similar field of interest.
- Plan content of “cross-committee” learning sessions.
- Collect, circulate and catalogue materials of interest to the Foundation and to its target
- constituencies on an ongoing basis.
- Work at strengthening the communications capacity of our grantees.
- Assist in the development of a communications strategy; assist with placement and
- preparation of op-ed articles and letters; website updates; maintain an active social
- media presence; prepare press releases and newsletter.
- Must be a self-starter with exceptional research, writing and editing skills, be able to gain a substantive understanding of the organization quickly and possess strong computer, organizational and oral communication skills.
- Team oriented with an ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit, charitable and philanthropic sectors.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in prioritizing work and to perform well under
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a variety of people including grant
- partners, government and media.
- Conversant in various social media platforms.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in English, communications or journalism.
- Minimum 2 years work experience in the communications field.
Application deadline: April 29, 2019
Start date: June 2019
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter as a single PDF
to email@example.com with the subject line, “Application
for Communications & Policy Officer Position.” Your cover letter should be no more than one
page, and the filename of your PDF should follow the format: