Lay-Up Youth Basketball (Lay-Up)
Lay-Up is a Toronto-based charitable organization that equips youth with the confidence and life skills needed to be community leaders of tomorrow. Since 2013, Lay-Up has been running FREE leadership programs in Toronto’s priority communities. Lay-Up uses basketball as a platform to deliver meaningful, customized off-court programming that equips and inspires young people to overcome barriers in academia, life skills development and healthy living. Through sport, mental health-focused curriculums and off-court workshops, our aim is to support the personal development of youth in priority communities.
Lay-Up runs summer camps as well as school year clinics for children ages 6-14 and an employment program for youth from the neighbourhoods in which we operate. Last year, Lay-Up provided programming services to more than 500 children; by 2021, Lay-Up hopes to deliver sports-based leadership programs to more than 1000 children per year. We believe that Every Kid Needs a Team and aim to provide access to children across all priority communities in the GTA and beyond. More information can be found on our website (www.layup.ca).
Lay-Up’s Executive Director
Over the last 5+ years, Lay-Up has established a proven impact model and a powerful brand/following in priority communities throughout Toronto. With strong leadership at the Board level, a full-time staff of 4 and a dedicated network of part time program leaders and volunteers, we are poised to enter a period of rapid growth.
As we embark on this exciting new phase in our development, Lay-Up is seeking an authentic and respected leader to run our organization and drive our future growth. A transformative opportunity for non-profit executives, the ideal candidate will possess a strong business sense, an appreciation of sport for development and have outstanding emotional intelligence and soft-skills. As a true grass roots organization, we require an individual who can lead at both the management and ground level. Candidates must embrace challenges and enjoy the process of translating a long-term strategic plan into annual, quarterly and daily priorities. The successful applicant must view the opportunity to lead positive development in children and communities to be the chance of a life time.
The Executive Director will report to Lay-Up’s Chairman and Board of Directors and will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the organization. Specific responsibilities include:
- Leadership: Support a workplace culture that is inspiring, respectful, values-oriented & accountable, and which fosters strong team and individual performance
- People Management: Set strategies for the development, hiring, remuneration, training, evaluation and succession of Lay-Up’s full-time staff
- Program Operations: Oversee short and long-term programming goals, measurement frameworks and community engagement strategies
- Business Operations: Manage centralized functions including office site, CRM and databases, bookkeeping and financial processes, budgeting, systems and more
- Board: Work with the Lay-Up Board to successfully plan and implement short and long-term strategies through policy recommendations, key business performance indicators and reporting while also supporting Lay-up’s Board and development staff in growing revenue across all fundraising lines
- Strategic Planning: Provide leadership in executing long-term visions through detailed short-term plans while continuously searching for and defining new opportunities
- Communication & Marketing: Act as a spokesperson for Lay-Up and use a strong personal brand to strengthen organizational profile while overseeing broader marketing and communications strategies
Experience & Skills:
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience and skills:
- Management-level experience relating to non-profit, sports development and/or project management
- A proven executor that has participated in the successful expansion or scaling of an organization or project
- Experience in the development, delivery and evaluation of non-profit, sports or leadership programs
- Well-developed personal brand and a proven ability to build relationships across an industry or sector; connections in sports for development is a plus
- An insatiable curiosity and willingness to learn, anchored in a constant pursuit of personal development
- Collaborative and innovative consensus builder that solicits 360-degree feedback and can inspire and influence staff, constituents, donors and partners
- A positive ambassador with strong communication skills and a genuine kindness, thoughtfulness and a sense that the glass is always at least half full
- Highly accountable and well-organized, with an ability to oversee a team of staff and prioritize multiple projects effectively
- An ability to connect with and relate to a diverse constituent base at the individual and community levels
Other Details: This is a full-time position which involves some evening and weekend work. The position includes a base salary plus benefits package. We work out of our new offices at 120 Carlton Street, Toronto.
How to Apply: To apply for this position, please forward your cover letter and resume along with 2 references plus any relevant sample materials you would like to share by February 7, 2019 to Lay-Up’s Executive Chairman, Max Daviau (email@example.com). Applications also accepted through Charity Village: https://charityvillage.com/app/job-listings/3ac1d24d-0123-e911-80d8-14187768272a?search=true