Where are you from and how did you land in London?
Originally I came from London, England with my partner and 12 year old son. More recently (May 1919) I came from Abbotsford BC. While I have travelled a lot since first coming to Canada, my son and his family have stayed and when it was time for a change for me, London was the place.
Tell us about your education and professional background.
I was educated at a convent grammar school on a scholarship. My first job was with Harrap's educational publishing company in their London, England office accounting dept. Since then I have had a variety of professions training and here are some:
- Trained as a coach and mentor for the organization with which I was associated
- Staff member for a residential school for troubled teenagers in Ontario
- Managing a three star hotel in the Cotswolds in England
- Teaching practical spirituality for the organization I was trained by and worked in for many years (this involved a lot of travel internationally)
- Managing at different times 2 retreat centres, one in King City ON and later, one in Abbotsford BC
Local board member for the organization and a member of the Board of Trustees for the international group
What cause are you most passionate about?
Welcoming people - and that takes different forms (see above) I do have a particular liking for working with young people.
Why did you want to volunteer at Innovation Works?
I had been looking for a part-time job that would involve working with other people and an employment counsellor put me in touch with Pillar (specifically Michelle Baldwin) who suggested the volunteer route.
What is the best thing that’s happened for you as a result of volunteering at Innovation Works?
Meeting so many like-minded people and learning new skills.
What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned as a result of volunteering at Innovation Works?
That there are so many people who have been dedicated for many years to bringing about social change and that includes all the co-tenants and employees of Pillar and Innovation Works.